About Us

Arizona Handmade Gallery has been showing the work of hand selected artists in Northern Arizona since the Spring of 2000. Located in Historic Downtown Flagstaff in the Nackard Building, the gallery has been home to some of the areas best artists over the years. Cheers to ourselves for 10 years running!


The vision of the gallery has always been to carry art ranging from "fine" to "functional" giving every customer a chance to find something appealing to them. We pride ourselves in being the most "fun" gallery in Flagstaff! We are very accessible to all tastes and whimsy.


The next time you're in Flagstaff, stop in and check us out.

13 North San Francisco Street, Suite 100. 928-779-3790.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Featured Artist Today: Peggy Pollak

Local, Artist, Botanist, Peggy Pollak has the spotlight today. Peggy combines her botany and metalworking skills to create original jewelry cast in sterling silver. Below is her artist statement and a few of her items that are available at the gallery.

Pearls garnish sterling acorn caps, $45:
From Peggy Pollak

Artist Statement:
I was motivated to make jewelry when I could not find earrings that I liked. In response to requests from friends, I was soon making pieces to give away or to sell. I am inspired by Native American work, the colors and patterns of natural gemstones, and nature in general.

My work evolved from stringing and weaving seed beads to metalsmithing with sterling silver to casting silver, all with the brightest stones that I could find. I am continuing to hone my skills by working toward the jewelry certificate offered by Northern Arizona University.

My introduction to art actually occurred 20 years ago when I was a potter. At that time I took all the ceramics courses at NAU while working on my PhD in Botany. In the midst of my graduate work, my major advisor informed me that I didn’t have time to do both art and science and that I would have to choose. I chose science, but always intended to return to art when I had the time.

I currently divide my time among teaching Biology courses at NAU, mothering three children, and making jewelry. I love all three activities and feel that there is a certain synergy among them. In my spare time I garden, ride my horse, read, especially Southwest fiction, and enjoy the woods around Flagstaff.

In addition to showing my work in galleries, I have participated in a number of juried shows in Northern Arizona, Scottsdale, and Salem, Oregon.

Leaves of a variety of native plants cast in sterling and colored with a chemical patina displayed on a handmade sterling chain, $500:
From Peggy Pollak


Sprigs of juniper cast in sterling silver, $40:
From Peggy Pollak

No comments:

Post a Comment